Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Twenty Degrees and the Hockey Game's on....

Well, actually it is about 20 degrees Celsius here in eastern NC, but I don't think that's exactly what Jimmy Buffett had in mind when he wrote that line. But anyway, the hockey game - or games, as in 15 tonight alone - is on, for the first time since the NHL strike was resolved this past summer. Honestly I've never been a huge hockey fan, but I have followed the Hurricanes ever since they moved down to these parts from Hartford for the start of the '98-'99 season, and I've also followed the sport in general much more closely since that time. It is great to see the league back in action though, and I think it's very encouraging to see that fans weren't scared away by last year's cancelled season. I watched the 'Canes open up (and lose, unfortunately) down in Tampa tonight against the Lightning, and at least on TV, the crowd seemed really pumped up and I'm pretty sure it was a sell out. Welcome back, guys.

On a similar note, I'd just like to comment on what a great time of year it is for sports fans. At one point in the evening, there was the 'Canes/Lightning game, the Chicago/Boston ALDS game, and the Miami (OH)/NIU football game all on at the same time. Apparently there were Major League Soccer games going on tonight too, but none of those were televised around here. I guess I'll just have to settle for the hat trick, so to speak. NHL opening night, MLB playoffs, and NCAA football in full swing - it doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home