Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

My 4th Grade Sense of Humor

Driving along the other day, I came upon the small town of Beulaville, NC, one of the few signs of civilization in an otherwise sparesly-populated section of eastern NC. I was listening to the radio, thinking about the work I needed to finish up that afternoon, and generally not paying too much attention to this fairly quiet corner of the state I pass through from time to time. But then something caught my eye.

Jumping ahead in the story a little, it turns out that "something" was a homemade plastic banner, tied between two telephone poles, advertising a local consignment shop called "Ann's Wagon." It was brightly decorated, and the writing was done in funky free-hand design. Here is my poor rendition (sorry, I wasn't quick enough on the draw with the camera phone) of the intended effect they were going for with their sign:
Innocent enough. But there's a problem here - the designers of this banner did not take into account the exact location for the placement of their ad. See, the real-life patch of real estate on which this sign hangs also contains a street sign, which produces this effect:
Big difference.

I almost wrecked the car as my brain tried to figure out 1) what exactly an "anus wagon" was, and 2) why on earth this small, conservative, Mayberry-like town would openly advertise such a thing. Was it some type of kinky sex club? A bizarre proctology center? Something involving alien body-probes perhaps?

I had several long seconds to contemplate this riddle as I sat at the stop light immediately adjacent to this display. Only upon the light turning green did I have the chance to shift my perspective and see what the sign really said.

And even though I was a little disappointed to learn that there was, in fact, no anus wagon in Beulaville, the memory alone was enough bring on a good chuckle for the rest of the day.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home