Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Catch 22's Make Me Angry

Here it is the middle of October, which means I've been devoting myself full-time to finding a decent job for almost two solid months now. Before today I had had no measure of success at all, and I was beginning to think I would be living with my parents for the rest of my life. Then all of the sudden this morning, something utterly bizarre happened. My phone rang.....the caller ID flashes a number I recognize as one of the firms I've sent a resume to (and unlike most places that I've sent resumes to, which have been half-assed attempts at jobs I didn't even really want anyway, this was a position I was actually excited about). Could this be it? Is this my ticket out? They want me to come in for an interview?!?! This is great!

Well, not exactly. It turns out the job is supposed to start within a week, and as such, they are only interviewing candidates who already live within commuting distance to Charlotte. And since the lady who called me was with the main office in NYC and wasn't overly familiar with NC geography, she didn't realize I lived six hours away until after she had gotten my hopes up and then shattered them into a million pieces. She was very polite and professional, though, and promised that they would keep my resume on file in case something came up in the future.

So now I realize exactly the situation my life is in: I don't have enough money to live anywhere but at home; and at the same time I can't get a job that pays decent money because I'm living at home. Quite the predicament, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home