Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Kicking Me When I'm Down: Redux

I thought I would never be able to top the "We'd rather hire no one than hire you" rejection letter, but today I got one that comes mighty close. In the mail this afternoon was a letter from a firm I interviewed with several weeks ago, and was subsequently rejected from.

Why would they be writting me again? What if something else opened up, and they're writing to say I should give them a call if I was still interested? Maybe the guy they picked instead of me had inflated his resume George O'Leary-style, and after finding out, that made be the best candidate?

Actually, it was none of the above - It was the exact same rejection letter, word-for-word, that I had recieved just a few weeks ago.

Probably just some sort of computer glitch - maybe my name was still in the system, they made the final hire, and just didn't want to leave any applicants in the dark - but part of me thinks it was completely intentional on their part. I imagine it went something like this:

Bob: ...Yeah, I think new guy is really going to work out.
Dan: That's good to hear. I was getting pretty nervous that we'd never find what we were looking for.
Bob: Seriously. Did you take a look at some of those applications we got?
Dan: Look at the applications? I had to actually interview some of those losers!
Bob: Oh, geez. That must have been brutal.
Dan: You have no idea...there was this one kid in North Carolina I talked to...talk about going nowhere in life. I couldn't mail that rejection letter fast enough!
Bob
[laughing]: You know what would be HILARIOUS? Send him another copy of the letter, just to remind him how bad he was!
Dan
[also laughing]: Yeah, that would be funny. He'll see the firm letterhead, and think maybe we wanted to talk to him again.
Bob: But it'll really be just a clever way to say "Guess what? You're STILL a loser!"

Damn you Bob! Dan probably never would've thought of that on his own!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home