Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Maybe It Was Frodo Climbing the Stairway to Heaven

This may be one of those things that everyone already knows about, but I just found out about it and I thought it was pretty cool. Anyway, I had the ol' ipod on random play yesterday when Led Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore" came on. Great song, and one I've heard literally hundreds of times before, but this time I caught something that I had never noticed before. The verse goes like this:

The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall,
The ringwraiths ride in black,
Ride on.

Wait...did Robert Plant just say "ringwraiths"?

Yes, he did.

The evil horsemen/dragon-riders from The Lord of the Rings?

Yup.

After googling the lyrics to make sure I wasn't just imagining this, I found out that there are actually several websites devoted to establishing links between the music of Zeppelin and the writings of JRR Tolkien. In fact, it seems somewhat-widely accepted that "The Battle of Evermore" is about the final battle against the forces of Mordor in Return of the King. Even Wikipedia mentions the connection.

Here's the link to one of the better sites I came across, covering not just "The Battle of Evermore," but several other Zeppelin songs: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2406/index.html

Maybe it's not Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home