Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Either Genius or Insanity

I'm very careful when I post about things related to work. The names are ALWAYS changed or left out entirely, the places are USUALLY changed, and my firm's name is NEVER used. God help us all if someone googling my office should stumble on this garbage.

However, this is one instance where I feel it is my journalistic (or bloggeristic, maybe? whatever...) duty to use real names and locations to address this particular topic.

See, when dealing with real estate matters, I come across a whole variety of subdivision names. Most are your typical grandiose statements of the property's supposed magical desirability..."Enchanted Acres," or "Seaside Haven." The names are different, but they all mean basically the same thing - "no poor folks here!"

Anyway, the other day I came across the best (worst?) subdivision name I have ever seen. Located just outside Kinston, NC, is the phenomenally-titled "Colonial Colony."

Yes, some developer actually dubbed his land "Colonial Colony."

Can you imagine that brainstorming session?

Developer: We need a name to really draw the people in...something with a "wow" factor....
Assistant 1: I agree...how about "Lenoir Estates," or maybe "The Kinston Reserve"....
Assistnat 2: Or maybe "Kinston Plantation"....
Dev.: Yeah, yeah, something that hearkens back to the city's roots...something with a sense of history...
Ass 1: "Plantation Forest?"
Ass 2: "Colonial Forest?"
Dev.: OK, now we're on the right track...I like "colonial"....
Ass 1: "Colonial Creek!"
Ass 2: "Colonial Plantation!"
Dev.: No, no, no, less "plantation," and more "colonial!"
Ass 1: Uh, "Colonial Colony?"
Ass 2: [blank stare]
Dev.: Perfect!

Here's a Google Map link if you're ever in the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home