Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

On Standup Comedy, Reality Television, and Hypocrisy

I do not like reality television. Whenever it comes up in conversation, I never hesitate to let others know of my disdain for the genre. I think it's an easy out for the networks who are too lazy to come up with creative original programming. I think it appeals to the least common denominator of society. However, due to my longtime love of standup comedy, there is one of these programs that I am hopelessly addicted to: Last Comic Standing. (Season Premier tonight!)

I started watching the show regularly in Season 2 when it came on as a Summer replacement series on NBC. And now here it is in its forth season, and still a "well, it's better than showing re-runs" show. That hasn't deterred me at all though, and honestly I'm pretty impressed a Summer show has managed to stick around for four seasons. Outside of The OC, which itself began life in the same circumstances, most Summer shows are unmitigated disasters. Sometimes I think this may actually be intentional on the networks' part.

Network exec: "According to Jim will seem downright brilliant compared to this one..."

The premise is really quite simple, and nearly identical to everyone of the other reality shows out there - a large number of initial applicants is narrowed down to a manageable number through a preliminary screening process, the lucky few to make the grade get put up in a house together, during which time their day-to-day activities are documented, and each week's events culminate with a competition of sorts that sends one contestant home. In the end, it comes down to one, and that person gets the money, contract, prize, spot in the band, etc.

It's a formula that's been used again and again.

Yet, here I am, eating up every moment of it. What can I say? As much as I loath Survivor, I'm just a sucker for standup.

I also thought this would be a good place to mention my new favorite comedy CD: Daniel Tosh's "True Stories I Made Up." This guy is out of his mind, and it's completely hilarious. I highly recommend it to anyone else looking to get their comedy fix.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM , Blogger SuperBee said...

    You bought a comedy CD?! That's surprising. Maybe I should do that...

     
  • At 9:08 PM , Blogger jonphiwil said...

    Yeah I've actually got a couple of good comedy CDs. Dane Cook and Lewis Black are also high on my list.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home