Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Be Careful What You Wish For?

In case you haven't noticed, I've been doing a lot of bitching lately about how my current living situation isn't quite doing it for me. Well, this afternoon, I came out of a hearing to find that I had a voicemail from my boss saying he had "something kind of big" to talk to me about before I went home for the day.

As it turned out, he's thinking about relocating me. Apparently I'm actually pretty good at what I'm doing, and he wants me to cover a broader area of the state (at no point did me mention anything about upping my salary, so I hesitate to use the word "promotion").

But here's the problem - the 3 or 4 cities he mentioned off the top of his head as we talked are infinitely more crappy than Wilmington. They are all places I occassionally have to visit for particular cases, and they are all places I very much look forward to leaving at the end of the day.

So what to do?

On a scale of 1 to 10, my social life currently sits at about 2.5. If I move to any of those cities, it could very well dip into the negative...but I would be "advancing my career" or something like that. If I say no and stay here - where things aren't great, but not necessarily bad either - I'm sure that would make me "not a team player" to the partners, and the next time a big promotion opens up they'll likely look to someone else.

And my boss wants an answer tomorrow.

Sleep may not happen tonight.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ish, well you probably already answered him, but I hope you said something along these lines:

    I would love the extra responsibility, but is there any chance of me moving to a larger city? I'm a young guy who needs a place with more people his age, not less. How can we work this out?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home