Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

This Guy is AWESOME!

I've never actually met this guy, but I stumbled across an article in one of the local papers about who he is and what he's doing - his name is Eric Vithalani, and he's taking 2 years away from "real life" to jump on his bike and cycl around the world. Yeah, obviously there will be some air travel involved to get around those pesky oceans, but what a goal!

His whole outlook on the journey is very much from the "me" school of travel, as well. Sure you can fly somewhere, stay in the largest, most modern, most American-ized hotel near the tourists traps, and be able to say "Oh, I've been to ___!"

But have you really?

The most rewarding travel experiences I've ever had were the ones where I've got far off the beaten path. Touring the Guinness brewery in Dublin is great...drinking a Guinness in a pub in County Clare in which you're the only American is better. The Coliseum in Rome is a must-see...but sitting out under the stars in a small Mediterranean village with a couple of locals, a guitar, and a bottle of wine is more memorable. I always try to explain that to people whenever the topic of travel comes up.

This guy clearly gets it.

His blog is at www.theheaviestbike.blogspot.com. I will be following this one closely. God knows it takes very little to inspire to jump on a plane for parts unknown. If I only had the time right now....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home