Skip Steps 1 & 3

Exploring that Awkward Time of Life in between Grad School and Marriage.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Catch-Up, Catch-All Post

OK, so I've been kind of lazy with the postings lately. Here are a few things that have been on my mind:
  1. First of all, I'm not moving. There was no way I could accept a transfer to any of the places my boss suggested. But instead of just being a dick and saying "no...screw you and your relocational musings!" I played it as diplomatically as I could. I suggested it might work out if I moved to Raleigh. My boss's response, and I quote, "No, that would make things worse." So, here I shall stay (for now).
  2. Geez, I hate politics. This John Kerry speech snafu has been the last straw for me, so I'm just gonna toss out two quick points: 1) If your last name is not Bush, Cheney, or Rumsfeld, and you found the "botched joke" offensive, you need a good hobby...you seriously have too much time on your hands; and 2) If your name is John Kerry, you proved throughout the 2004 Presidential campaign that you are neither funny nor entertaining when you speak, so you need to stop trying....you seem like an intelligent, hard working guy, so just go with that angle.
  3. The other night I had a dream that I was eating at Waffle House with Owen Wilson, Viggo Mortensen, and Jeremy Piven. At one point someone (I think it was Piven) suggested we skip out on the bill when the waitress wasn't looking. At the right time we all fled towards the door, ran to the parking lot, and hopped on the backs of our waiting ostriches. Those things can move!
  4. Oh, one more political thing - nothing makes me more angry than when politicians resort to the "if you disagree with me, then you're anti-American/unpatriotic/pro-terrorists/etc." That is the weakest fucking argument you can possibly use. Right now the Republicans are resorting to this tactic more often, but the Dems are in no way innocent. This country was founded on the idea of hearing every viewpoint, then collectively acting on the best ones. Having the right to disagree with the majority is quintessentially American...not the opposite.
  5. I've become obsessed with finding a good, easy-to-prepare paella recipe. There are no Spanish restaurants around here, and I haven't had really good paella since that amazing little Spanish place I ate at in Bath, England in the summer of '03.
  6. This article was on The Onion the other day: Larry Coker Fights For His Job By Swinging Helmet At Athletic Director, Chancellor. My favorite quote has to be "'What happened was unfortunate and does not reflect our character as a team or my philosophy as a coach,' said Coker, grasping the helmet by the faceguard and delivering repeated blows to Shalala's face and neck." If you've ever had to deal with Donna Shalala, then you understand.
  7. I found out my friend Jenn from college has a blog called "Why am I not Surprised?" and it's now on link list on the side of this page. Give it a read. You'll enjoy.
That's all for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home